Thursday, August 28, 2014

Week 4

Courtney will not be able to get any packages in Argentina so we sent her a Christmas present this week.  Grandma Thompson sent her a camera with wifi so it emails the pictures to us. This post has quite a few photo's because of that.
 
HOLA!!

I feel like half of my letters are exclamation points, so I would just like to apologize for that.  I'm just so happy!
 
I have 11 days left in the MTC!!! I can almost count down on my fingers.  I get my travel plans tomorrow, I'm SO excited.  I got to be a host missionary this week and welcome all the new people.  My district is the oldest in our zone, it's cool to have everyone look up to you.  And, even if you are really bad at Spanish- they think you are amazing because they are even worse!
 
This Monday, instead of doing FHE for members in Spanish in person for members, we skyped with Latinos from around the world!  The woman we talked to was a recent convert from Mexico, who spoke no English.  She was so excited that Hermana Hererra was blonde!  While we were waiting to go in and waiting in the stairwell, a bible came down and hit me on the head!  Not only is bible bashing bad, but it should never be taken in a literal sense ever- it really hurt!

Hermana Hererra is AMAZING at the piano, and her and another girl in my district performed a musical number in the huge Sunday devotional.  Just those two, The beautiful Hermana Hererra played the piano flawlessly, while Hermana Erikson sung like an angel.  Out of all the people who auditioned (and musical Mormon teens and competitive!)  they were the best.  It was such a neat experience to see them do that, and miss a few things as I got to be dragged around!  I'm so proud of them.


This week 2 districts in our zone left for the field.  I've know them, and they've been with me for that past month so it was really hard to see them go.  It's funny how people can become like family when you aren't even on a 1st name basis with them.  Before one of the Elders left, he asked the Hermanas in our district if we would mend a hole in his pants.  While another Hermana did that, I sewed the word "chiste"  i=on the inside of his waistband so he'd always remember us and our zone.  Everyone got a big laugh out of it, and the Elder said they are now his favorite pants.
 

We were learning about tithing this week, and someone asked how we can be expected to ask someone who doesn't have enough money to make ends meet to pay tithing.  Our teacher then asked us all to sit and ponder for a minute about our experience with tithing, and  how it has blessed our life.  And to pray and ask God to fortify our testimony of this commandment. The spirit in the room was so powerful.  There is not a doubt in anyones mind anymore how important tithing is. With that knowledge, I'm excited to challenge all to pay tithing.  When we sacrifice, the blessings God gives are ten fold- and I want everyone to have those blessings!

Funny story from an Elder this week: It was his first week, and he was teaching the 1st lesson to one of his investigators.  He said "Dios es almuerzo"  Which translates to "God is lunch".  Then his investigator asked his very skeptically, "Dios..... es almuerzo?"  And the Elder nodded his head very enthusiastically and said "Si. exactamente!"  It wasn't until after he realized the word he was looking for was amoroso, which means loving!

I love you all, and thanks for sending me all that great stuff this week!

 
Con MUCHO amor, 

Hermana Shumway
 

                                                        Courtney and her companion
                                                                  Host missionaries
                                                                       The Pants
Bet you didn't know Courtney was a twin.(a new feature on her camera that she is loving)
                                                       An investigator they are teaching
                                                       Taking the bus to the MTC

                                                                        The district

 

No comments:

Post a Comment