Monday, October 27, 2014

Three months


THE HERMANAS OF PERICO ARE NOW THE PROUD OWNERS OF A WORKING, FLUSHING TOLIET!!! Still can´t put paper in it, BUT YOU CAN FLUSH IT!!!  And, they are going to send someone to fix our light, and put light in the bathroom.  The tender mercies of the Lord are over all them whom he hath chosen!

Laundry the past few P-days has been impossible.  Last week, it poured.  Flooding outside + no sun = no way to hang dry your clothes.  And today, we didn´t have water for a good chunk of the day.  Pero, esta bien.  I have a couple sticks of deodorant!

My life here is has fallen into a pattern.  It´s literally like a sitcom.  

The re-occuring plot is that I don´t speak spanish perfectly yet, and the language barrier always causes some hysterical confusion.  (p.s. I´ve gotten REALLY good at charades, so when I get back hit me up for a game.]  Cultural barriers too- when people find out I´m from the United States the first thing they do is say, "I could NEVER live there.  Too much technology".

The characters are unbelievable.  My companion is literally insane!  She is SOOO funny, I love her. She is an authors dream, comedy gold. I always write down the crazy stuff that happens with her, and she loves to ask what was the funniest thing that she had done this week.  
We have this grumpy old tenant who lives downstairs who always complains "When the ELDERS lived here they ALWAYS paid their utilities on time."  or "The ELDERS never complained about the bathroom" 
Our investigators are pretty insane too.  We were talking to one the other day, "Do you believe in Christ?"  "No" "Do you have a religion?"  "Yep, I´m Christian." I laughed for a good long while.
We have the lady who owns the store on the corner who LOVES us.  Here when it is later in the day, the stores are locked up, and if you want to buy something, you have to do it entirely through barred windows or doors.  Anytime we need to pick something up on the way home she always unlocks the door and lets us in, even if she is helping other people still outside! (Stores here are pretty laid back.  At our internet cafe, when we are short a peso, the owner just tells us to come back in a few hour or next time.  Nobody is really big on small change, so most people give you penny candies instead of change.  Some stores even literally keep the candy in their registers.  It´s fabulous.:)

There are montages of us being more tired than is humanly possible, reading scriptures, eating, praying- and walking down dirt roads.  And then in the end of the episode when one of of investigators quits us, or the viewers think there is no way I could answer the investigators question, or get out of bed with a smile- a miracle happens.  An investigator unexpectedly shows up in church, or someone recieves an answer to their prayer about the Book of Mormon. 

More has happened to me in these 3 months than I ever thought possible. I`m so blessed for this  amazing opportunity.

-Hermana Shumway

Not sure If I will be able to write next week.  We are going to Cero de Siete Colores (it´s like Zions, or the Grand Canyon)  So, if you don´t hear from me don´t freak out!

Us after the POURING rain

 My cookies and malta I ate after the rain to cheer me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment