Monday, February 9, 2015

Hooola!

Lots of weird stuff happened this week.  One day for lunch, we were given half a chicken each, with rice and salad and potatoes.  Then, during the day we had malta con leche con una familia with bread and jams.  Then we had ice cream.  Then met with other investigators. Basically everyone was giving us food, and I´ve never been so full!  Then in the night time one of our new investigators asked us if we were pregnant- and then she poked my tummy!  My companion and I just laughed, "Del espiritu y asado."

And, we were street contacting when we came across a cute little Asian- but when we tried to talk to her she said that said, "No hablo Español"  and then when we looked really confused she said, "I speak English"  Then I got really excited and said "Me too!" 

So then she asked me a basic question, and then I just started staring at her because I couldn't remember how to say why I´m here en English.  My compañion who knows English really well had to tap me, and the only thing I could think of was "I´m a missionary"  And when she asked what missionaries do, "I teach about Jesus!"   And when we started talking more it was so awkward, because she could think so much faster than me, and I can´t respond to one word questions in English, or use filler words.  But, it turns out she´s here because she wants to learn Spanish and teach Chinese. I told we could teach her Español and gave her our number. I don´t think she was really impressed with my native language abilities so I guess we´ll have to see.

We found a lot of amazing people this week.  It´s crazy almost everyone who we talk with has had contact with the church at least once in their life.  We´ll be on a corner handing out Jesus cards and when we start talking with someone turns out they are a member, but inactive for years, or went to the church a couple of times as a kid, or received the missionaries once but they never returned. 

This week there was a special womens conference, but we could only go if we brought an investigator.  I was praying that we would find someone to take, but nobody wanted to go.  About an hour and a half before the conference, we were teaching a woman in a bakery.  One of her employees stopped working and came and listened.  And when we invited them to the conference, the employee said yes, even though it was in an hour!

She told us that she´s been looking for something good in her life, and when she was thinking about this in the morning- she had REALLY strong impression that she should go to work even though she wasn´t planning on it.  She told us that she knew it was because she needed to meet us, and now we´re teaching her with her two daughters.

Love you all!  
Hermana Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment