Monday, December 21, 2015

Missionary Disneyland

Basically I´m ridiculously happy.  Being with Hermana Erikson makes me
feel like I´m starting my mission and not finishing it. She was one of
the first people that I met in the MTC. And I really, really, really
love teaching an area to someone.  It´s like taking someone to
Disneyland for the first time and getting to explain everything.

This week we were leaving the house of an less active convert family
and when we were already a couple houses away, one of the little kids
ran to us with a bag of 4 humitas.  Which  are like vegetarian tamales
and freaking delicious.  And a couple of mangoes because everyone here
just throws them away.  It was a little bit weird because in this area
it was one of the first time that someone has gifted us food.

We then went to a visit a family that we had recently met that are
really great.  They had read  what we left them and were excited to
learn more.  We explained about the Restoration, priesthood, and
Joseph Smith and they understood really well. It was a really
spiritual lesson.

When we asked If they would like us to ask for anything specific in
our prayer she asked if we could ask that they could find a way to
have food for the next day.  She told us that her husband had left
about two months ago and they haven´t heard from him.  And her job was
finished until the next planting/harvest season in February.  Nobody
in her family had eaten that day, ant it was 8 o´clock at night. She
didn´t say it in a begging manner, but humbly.  A lot of people think
that prayers from the missionaries are more powerful.

After the prayer we gave them the 4 little humitas that we had and the
couple of dirty mangoes.  It wasn´t much but I´ve never seen someone
so grateful in my life.  She looked like she was about to cry- and
when she started to protest we cut her off, said our goodbyes.

Sometimes the Lord works miracles in really strange ways.  I have no
doubt in my mind that God organized everything perfectly that day
because he loves his children.

One night when we got back home there was a HUGE frog in our bathroom.
But there isn´t really much more of a story there.

The last half of the week it´s been well under 100 degrees.  I´ve
celebrated by drinking hot chocolate.

In missionary heritage I´m now a grandma because my daughter now has daughter.

We are working on a wedding of a part-member family!  We already
helped the dad quit smoking- and we are just waiting for all the
paperwork of the wedding ceremony to work out to get him in the water
and be one step closer to their eternal family.  They are already so
excited to go to the temple.

Well, I´ve heard that the time difference is 4 hours.  I will be
calling around 2 o´clock here which I think would be 10 o´clock your
time.  I´m pretty sure that I´m going to skype- but don´t be surprised
if I end up calling.  We are going to try to go to Oran with a member
that has internet.

All of the packages that have been sent have been held captive by the
grinches in the Argentine Mail system (because there are so many) and
will not be released for the mission home to pick up untill after the
holidays.  But I´m sure I´ll get your package soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment