Monday, December 28, 2015

fruit cake is no longer a gag gift

How did your Christmas goat?  That´s actually just a really bad pun
because I´m super stoked that we ate goat for Christmas.

And watched a pretty fun dog fight.(They run wild)

 It was probably one of the best Christmases I´ve had- and there´s a
couple of other personal stories that will have to be told in person
when I´m back.

I have decided that I´m going to always wear a watch for the rest of
my life because my watch tan is SO RIDICULOUSLY good that people who
see it are just going to be jealous.  And I just don´t want to be the
cause of a bunch of envy.

This week was a little bit crazy.  In the beginning of the week had to
wake up at 4:30 in the morning to go to a 2 zone Christmas conference.
And we stayed up really late organizing the trip.  Our zone is
geographically the biggest in the mission because we are a bunch of
little branches entering Bolivia so it was crazy rounding everybody
up.  I only slept 3 hours- but  I was only a little tired.  We
played white elephant gift exchange and our mission president´s 11 year old son kind
of rigged it a little bit so I got to go last and pick whatever gift I
wanted.  (Because  we became really good friends when I served in his
ward)  Then he made fun of me because I stole a Barcelona jersey only
because it came with a cool artisinal bag and a wooden carving.

The next day we worked our butts off because we were excited to be
able to work and not sleeping caught up to me and I almost died but it
was worth it because we brought 10 new people to church and 9 of them
have baptismal dates and they are families!!!!!  Best Christmas
present ever.

After we skyped, we got to know a little bit the member who lent us
her computer.  (because it wasn´t in our area, we didn´t know her, we
were really grateful for her letting us into her house- and everyone
loves listening to scriptures)  She had suffered a stroke a while back
and was a paralyzed in half her body and couldn´t say more that a few
words if she tried REALLY hard.  She looked a bit sad.  We watered all
of her plants, shared a little Christmas message and then tried to
understand her.  We told her we would sit as long as it took for her
to talk- she started crying and the words slowly came out.  I think
it´s been a really long time since she´s had anyone try to communicate
and not only talk to her.  Through hand signs, little words, and the
spirit she was able to express her concerns and problems in her life
right now and we were able to offer her the best cure that we had- The
Book of Mormon.  We committed her 10 year old son to read to his mom
everyday.  The Elders in her area are going to give her a blessing as
well- but I know that there isn´t a better way to feel peace in this
life, then having daily scripture study.

It made me think back a lot on the beginning of my mission.  When I
couldn´t communicate with everyone.  But I´m really grateful for those
hard months because I feel like there are a lot of people that just
want to be understood- and I now know the importance of helping them.
The importance of our Baptismal covenant to ease the burdens, comfort
and cry with those who need it.

On Christmas Eve as we were re-gifting what our family sent us- we
were in the house of a less active family that were so touched that
they wanted to give us something too.  Here they aren´t usually a lot
of presents but normally the families have a little tree that they put
fruitcakes under to eat Christmas day.  They didn´t have very many-
but they picked the biggest one that they had and give it to us.  And
all we had given them were a couple of pouches of Scooby-Doo fruit
snacks to their kids.

It doesn´t sound like that big of a deal but it gets me chocked up
every time I think about it.

The world is full of a bunch of really, really wholesomely good people
who just want to help others.  I feel so blessed for having received
love and service from so many selfless people- and knowing my Savior
better because of it.

I hoped you all had a really Merry Christmas.

I wanted to share this scripture with you when we talked, but here it
is now: D&C 123:17.  If we are really, honestly doing everything that
we possibly can we never have to worry.  There is peace in trying
harder than you think you can.

I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment