Monday, January 4, 2016

Hermana John Wayne

In Preach My Gospel there´s this really cute story about a taxi
driver.  That as the missionaries are walking home after a really long
day a cabist takes them for free and ends up getting baptized and
going to the temple with his whole family.  I think they put it there
to inspire every missionary that they too can have a marvelous
experience such as that.

All of my taxi driver stories have just ended up being creepy.  But I
haven´t lost my faith.

More people should sell figs.  I didn´t even know what a fig was like
apart from fig newtons! (But I´m pretty sure that that doesn´t
actually count)

My companion washed a turtle this week to be servicial.

Being Hermana leader over my old area, I´m always in contact with the
Hermanas that are there right now. On Sunday they told me that my
convert NehemĂ­as bore his testimony in sacrament meeting- it made me
cry a little bit.  I´ve been so worried because since I´ve left the
other Hermanas haven´t been finding him.  It´s a great comfort to know
that the Good Shepard is always working infinitely harder than us.

This week we have a wedding! And a baptism!  AND WE´RE COMPLETING A
FAMILY!!!!!!!!!

We are always reminding them that they have to have their family
prayer.  So they made a prayer schedule.  One for everyday of the
week- and because there are only 6 of them- they´ve included us too!
Every Saturday because we lunch with them, and we do feel like part of
their family.

They have a hard time remembering how to pronounce my name.  So now
thay just call me Hermana John Wayne, because in their accent it
actually does sound like Shumway.  (In my second area there was a guy
that we always talked to in the street that called me that too!)

 The father (who is the one going to be baptized) used to smoke a lot.
Even though it´s been about a month since he´s quit, he had a really
bad day this last week and tried to smoke.  But as soon as his kids
saw him trying to lite up they began to toss water on him from the
kiddie pool.  All his little kids are really excited to help since we
held a family council with them started Operation: "Basta de Fumata".
(stop smoking)

We literally scared them when we taught the penalties of sin- and they
have composed a song to remind them to not break the law of chastity.
It´s to the tune of jingle bells.  There´s a really nice verse verse
describing how we are going to be verifying with them all the time. I
love being an insistent missionary.

Yesterday we accidentally locked our house keys in- and we started
freaking out.  I was thinking that we were going to have to call a
locksmith from a big and far away town.  We went to go ask our land
lord what to do- and he just told us that we had to find a little kid
to break in.  We have barred windows, but luckily the slots were big
enough for a 4 year-old.  I love Argentina.  I also have some really
funny cop stories, but those will have to wait.

A different family that we are teaching are really progressing.
They´ve started to give us a million references, all their extended
family members.  They´ve invited us to go to their next family
reunion.

One of the biggest fruits of repentance and using the atonement are
our desires to share the gospel.  And we don´t even need to understand
or live the gospel for a long time to be able to do it.  We can go to
church 1 time and recognize the importance.

Our sacrament assistance has jumped from the beginning of my time here
of 30 to about 60.  I´ve seen the Lord work so many miracles- and
we´re just about to baptize 2 men who can be priesthood holders.
Looks like we might get an elders quorum president!  And one of them
is named Julio Cesar (Julius Ceaser)  He has really great leadership
potential.  Haha.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment